1. I'd like to ask
  2. 549 people in 178 cities are asking questions to 18 people
World Affairs
“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” Naguib Mahfouz

1. BBC NEWS | WORLD | UK EDITION

2. Get the latest BBC World News: international news, features and analysis from Africa, Americas, South Asia, Asia-Pacific, Europe and the Middle East.
  3. http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/bbc_news_120x60.gif

4. Suicide bombings hit Moscow Metro
    At least 38 people have been killed in two suicide bombings on the Metro system in Moscow, officials say.

US Treasury plans Citi share sale
    The US government is preparing to sell its 27% stake in Citigroup, in what would be one of the largest share sales in history.

Four Rio Tinto executives jailed
    Four executives of Rio Tinto are found guilty of bribery and secrets theft by a Chinese court and handed lengthy jail terms.

Answered Questions
  1. PatNInterupt asked Brendan Barber: "Given that union membership could be regarded as placing a tax on consumers by raising the cost of production, shouldn't all union members in the UK be morally bound *not* to reduce their shopping bills..." Show more »"Given that union membership could be regarded as placing a tax on consumers by raising the cost of production, shouldn't all union members in the UK be morally bound *not* to reduce their shopping bills by buying more cheaply produced goods or service from non-unionised businesses in the UK or overseas? It's easy to be moral when it doesn't cost you money, and you can't have it both ways surely?" Show less »
  2. Brendan Barber answer: "click "play" to view"

3. PatNInterupt asked Lord Mandelson: "We keep being reminded by world leaders that the mistakes of protectionism will not be repeated, but everything governments around the world (including the UK) are doing in terms of trying to restore ..." Show more »"We keep being reminded by world leaders that the mistakes of protectionism will not be repeated, but everything governments around the world (including the UK) are doing in terms of trying to restore the credit mechanism and subsidising industries, relies on there being explicit or implicit limitations on who or where that money is lent and spent - i.e. domestically. Can you please explain why this is not protectionism?" Show less »
  4. Lord Mandelson answer: "Theo Paphitis worded this question about "protectionsism" in his own way."

5. Sadbog74 asked Brendan Barber: "Is the coming G20 summit in London, a time to reinvigorate the fight for Social Justice, on a national and international level?"
  6. Brendan Barber answer: "Click "play" to view in a new window."

7. Sadbog74 asked Matthew Taylor: "Is it time to create a fairer, more inclusive globalization, that is used as a means to a fairer world, rather than a globalization which is an ends in itself?"
  8. Matthew Taylor answer: "Click "play" to view."

9. LondonTowner asked Douglas Alexander: "If we have got the world banking system so utterly wrong, is it possible we've got the entire aid and development system completely wrong as well? Is the money wasteds too often and does it have a negative..." Show more »"If we have got the world banking system so utterly wrong, is it possible we've got the entire aid and development system completely wrong as well? Is the money wasteds too often and does it have a negative impact on governance in many recipient nations?" Show less »
  10. Douglas Alexander answer: "Click "play" to view."

MORE ANSWERS!
Popular Questions
  1. Claire is asking Gordon Brown: "Hello Gordon Surely this crisis isn't just about banks and whether they lend money. Surely it's also that we're used to buying things on credit and perhaps spending money we haven't got. Now things have..." Show more »"Hello Gordon
    Surely this crisis isn't just about banks and whether they lend money. Surely it's also that we're used to buying things on credit and perhaps spending money we haven't got. Now things have gone wrong I see all the problems - friends who've lost jobs and prices of things going up... and can't think of any solutions.
    Is there anything that mums like me can do to make a difference?? Something that doesn't involve spending momey I've not got!" Show less »
  2. 38

1. PatNInterupt is asking Lord Malloch-Brown: "When the IMF and World Bank are looked at in the context of their original unstated objective (i.e. they were established by the US at Bretton Woods as institutions designed to perpetuate the US's "position..." Show more »"When the IMF and World Bank are looked at in the context of their original unstated objective (i.e. they were established by the US at Bretton Woods as institutions designed to perpetuate the US's "position of disparity" by creating impoverished client states in the third world) demonstrably these institutions continue to be some of the more successful examples of state intervention in modern history, no? Surely, therefore, the only sensible starting point of any discussion about changing the global financial and political architecture (assuming, wrongly possibly, that we mean for the general betterment of all?) is the replacement of the US dollar as the world's only monetary anchor?" Show less »
  2. 37

1. Callie24 is asking David Miliband: "In your opinion, are we in a better or worse  position to cope with the financial crisis by not being part of the Euro zone?"
  2. 36

1. shazkl is asking Gordon Brown: "Could you explain to me where all the money is coming from whixh you are pumping into the economy if we already have a huge national debt? Many Thanks."
  2. 36

1. Sadbog74 is asking Gordon Brown: "How can we ensure Obama's administration doesn't retreat into protectionism? The argument should be that there are 2 options: 1) Retreating into protectionism, making the recession worse for Americans..." Show more »"How can we ensure Obama's administration doesn't retreat into protectionism? The argument should be that there are 2 options: 1) Retreating into protectionism, making the recession worse for Americans and the world by destroying the wealth created by global trade and global markets. Eventually when the American economy starts to grow again, Re-globalization will occur, recreating the chaotic problems of today's unregulated global trade, leading to another global financial crisis in 10 or 15 years time. 2) Rising to the challenge of creating a Global Democratic Economic Regulatory institution, allowing for the continuation of globalization and wealth creation and jobs, and importantly, economic stability that will come from global regulation, and greatly reducing the chances of a future global financial crisis. These institutions could potentially allow for wealth redistribution, meaning common money could be used to invest in and develop the economies of LEDC's, which would be beneficiary to MEDC's as world GDP would increase and world market's would grow in size and wealth creation, thus spreading wealth into MEDC's. We can synthesize the interests of individual nations and the collective global community to serve them both better, if we create a democratic global economic institution." Show less »
  2. 34

MORE QUESTIONS!
Recent Questions
  1. artjar is asking Gordon Brown: "Dear Prime Minister

Why does the UK government fear facing questions from World Development Movement representative Benedict Southwold?

Why has his accreditation been withdrawn?

"
  2. 6

1. rohanwil is asking Gordon Brown: "I understand that World Development Movement has had its accreditation to participate in the G20 London Summit denied or withdrawn. Is this true, and if so for what reasons? I share WDM's view that..." Show more »"I understand that World Development Movement has had its accreditation to participate in the G20 London Summit denied or withdrawn.

Is this true, and if so for what reasons? I share WDM's view that the people of the world must be put first in world-wide economic and other decision-making, so on the face of it I would strongly support their participation.

Thank you" Show less »
  2. 3

1. Austin is asking Gordon Brown: "World Development Movement’s Benedict Southworth has had his accreditation to attend the G20 Conference was withdrawn at the last minute. The reason is unclear but a member of the accreditation team told..." Show more »"

World Development Movement’s Benedict Southworth has had his accreditation to attend the G20 Conference was withdrawn at the last minute. The reason is unclear but a member of the accreditation team told WDM that the decision came after the Foreign and Commonwealth Office had received a note from 'Number 10' to decline Benedict Southworth’s accreditation.  Will you please explain why this has been done?  It feels very much like censorship to me!

" Show less »
  2. 2

1. christopherj is asking Gordon Brown: "Why was the World Development Movement banned from the G20 summit?"
  2. 7

1. keyboardmum is asking Gordon Brown: "Why has no good reason yet been given for withdrawing the accreditation of both World Development Movement and War on Want at the eleventh hour, thereby banning them from the G20 summit, and why have ..." Show more »"Why has no good reason yet been given for withdrawing the accreditation of both World Development Movement and War on Want at the eleventh hour, thereby banning them from the G20 summit, and why have other similar questions to mine remained unanswered? Does this government wish to appear to be one which bans dissident voices? Is that an image that will help you at the next election, Mr Brown?" Show less »
  2. 12

MORE QUESTIONS!