1. I'd like to ask
  2. 534 people in 175 cities are asking questions to 18 people
Education
Answered Questions
  1. ppzpjm asked John Denham: "Given that (i) a recent international review of UK science strongly criticised the increasing focus on near-market research in UK universities;  (ii) a Russell Group study of the economic impact..." Show more »"

Given that

(i) a recent international review of UK science strongly criticised the increasing focus on near-market research in UK universities; 

(ii) a Russell Group study of the economic impact of scientific research showed that the return on investment of responsive mode (undirected) work was roughly double that arising from commercially-driven programmes; 

(iii) practically every UK university gave extremely negative feedback to the research councils on the proposal to impose economic impact criteria in the peer review process; 

(iv) Phil Willis, Chair of the IUSS Select Committee, has argued that a move towards “command economy science” (of the type recently proposed by Lord Drayson) will “sound the death knell for British research”;  

and (v) the Obama administration has clearly demonstrated its strong commitment to fundamental research, 

why does the Secretary of State feel that the UK economy is best served by a focus on near-term research selected according to, at best, imprecise forecasts of economic impact?

" Show less »
  2. John Denham answer: "Click 'play' to view."

3. markl981 asked John Denham: "The Minister has stated that the country needs a significant uplift in STEM qualified graduates and young researchers if it is to remain economically competitive. The US has recently increased funding..." Show more »"The Minister has stated that the country needs a significant uplift in STEM qualified graduates and young researchers if it is to remain economically competitive. The US has recently increased funding substantially in this area and is already attracting such people. At the same time UK's research councils are struggling from fEC underfunding and in the case of STFC are cutting funds for young post-doctoral researchers by 25%. Will DIUS follow the lead of the US and provide the funding to increase the number of young researchers or should these researchers and their Professors move now to the USA ?" Show less »
  4. John Denham answer: "Click 'play' to view."

5. KateCSD asked Matthew Taylor: "What role do you think education and training should play in creating a more equitable society, particularly in the current economic climate?"
  6. Matthew Taylor answer: "Click "play" to view."

7. SiGreen asked John Denham: "The Prime Minister's Initiative, which aimed at near market dominance in higher education in the overseas market was enormously successful. Could we have something similar for Digital Media, Bio-Engineering..." Show more »"The Prime Minister's Initiative, which aimed at near market dominance in higher education in the overseas market was enormously successful. Could we have something similar for Digital Media, Bio-Engineering and some other industries where we are especially strong? I'm not talking about them being prioritised by UKTI- I mean A BIG, BIG, cross departmental drive." Show less »
  8. John Denham answer: "Click 'play' to view."

9. treepixie asked John Denham: "Does the Obama administration present a greater opportunity for American & English universities to work together on research that will help boost the economies of both countries? If so, what can we learn..." Show more »"

Does the Obama administration present a greater opportunity for American & English universities to work together on research that will help boost the economies of both countries? If so, what can we learn from each other...?

" Show less »
  10. John Denham answer: "Click 'play' to view."

MORE ANSWERS!
Popular Questions
  1. KateCSD is asking Gordon Brown: "Should the UK invest in an economic stimulus package like the one developed by the Obama administration that includes, as one of its key components, education and training to lessen the impact of financial..." Show more »"Should the UK invest in an economic stimulus package like the one developed by the Obama administration that includes, as one of its key components, education and training to lessen the impact of financial crisis?" Show less »
  2. 22

1. mthornton is asking Gordon Brown: "If childcare was more accessible and working more of a benefit- our children will have a more educated, social upbringing and also a better system could be put in place to protect children from abuse ..." Show more »"If childcare was more accessible and working more of a benefit- our children will have a more educated, social upbringing and also a better system could be put in place to protect children from abuse in the home which we have heard so much about lately. We need to see the benefits employment brings to parents and to our children and also the benefits childcare can have for our children." Show less »
  2. 14

1. ChrisCSD is asking Douglas Alexander: "What is the role of skills development in limiting the impact of the recession on developing countries, and what is DfID doing to support this?"
  2. 12

1. khaines is asking Gordon Brown: "I am a year 11 female student. My mum suffers from bipolar disorder, this is a mental disability which effects her ability to work. As this is a mental disability I am classed as her carer. How are you..." Show more »"I am a year 11 female student. My mum suffers from bipolar disorder, this is a mental disability which effects her ability to work. As this is a mental disability I am classed as her carer. How are you going to assure me that the help and support my mum receives both through the NHS and financially will remain constant through out the global financial crisis? I would like to continue with my education and study at the university." Show less »
  2. 11

1. Sadbog74 is asking John Denham: "Should Universities offer more qualifications that are relevant to Britain's economic demand, and less "soft" qualifications like photography and sociology with a lack of economic demand, to make sure..." Show more »"Should Universities offer more qualifications that are relevant to Britain's economic demand, and less "soft" qualifications like photography and sociology with a lack of economic demand, to make sure all graduates can get a job, and a well paying job?" Show less »
  2. 11

MORE QUESTIONS!
Recent Questions
  1. thomas is asking Gordon Brown: "Dear Sir, I am a student from mumbai, doing MSc. banking and international finance at Cass, London. I find it hard to convince myself about the fact that every financial and monetary policy decision..." Show more »"Dear Sir,
    I am a student from mumbai, doing MSc. banking and international finance at Cass, London. I find it hard to convince myself about the fact that every financial and monetary policy decision ever taken in this entire world has been taken without prior consent and education to the common man who is eventually affected by it. How do you explain that this assymetry of information is good for the monetary policy decision. Also how can this common man ever understand that he is being affected by the big investment banks taking advantage of the arbitrage oppurtunity that lies in every monetary policy decision. I believe in the democracy of India, but is it not true that the government becomes the sole decision maker for the monetary policy allthough there exists rampant corruption in India." Show less »
  2. 3

1. katyhallett is asking Gordon Brown: "Anti-poverty and climate change organisation, World Development Movement (WDM), has been blocked from attending the G20 conference at the last minute, with no explanation.    Gordon Brown why have ..." Show more »"
    Anti-poverty and climate change organisation, World Development Movement (WDM), has been blocked from attending the G20 conference at the last minute, with no explanation. 

Gordon Brown why have they been banned.  They appear to be the only NGO that has been.

" Show less »
  2. 9

1. andrebs is asking John Denham: "Sir,what's your idea for the educators and leaders to improve their innovative knowledge to guide anybody in the right way of our life. I wish in the future we can avoid mistakes and end the crisis fo..." Show more »"Sir,what's your idea for the educators and leaders to improve their innovative knowledge to guide anybody in the right way of our life. I wish in the future we can avoid mistakes and end the crisis forvever." Show less »
  2. 4

1. Fiona14 is asking Gordon Brown: "Many children in catchment for good state schools are being pushed out due to the influx of children from private schools.  Local Independant Schools, with superb education facilities are sitting half..." Show more »"

Many children in catchment for good state schools are being pushed out due to the influx of children from private schools.  Local Independant Schools, with superb education facilities are sitting half empty, whilst state schools are oversubscribed and many children unable to attend the same school as their siblings.  Private schools should therefore be required to accept a percentage of local children in order to maintain their charitable status.  We must ensure that this recession does not impact on education and our children.  Unless urgent action is taken, and local children are given funding for their local independant schools, it will.  Do you envisage doing this, and if so, when?

" Show less »
  2. 4

1. Sadbog74 is asking John Denham: "Should private companies be encouraged to sponsor and invest money in Universities, in exchange for the university supplying qualifications to learn the skills that the private company needs for its workforce..." Show more »"Should private companies be encouraged to sponsor and invest money in Universities, in exchange for the university supplying qualifications to learn the skills that the private company needs for its workforce as well as the private sponsor to decide how some of the University's research is spent and what is researched?" Show less »
  2. 11

MORE QUESTIONS!